Estate Planning, Probate & Succession
Wills and estate planning
In order to ensure that your estate is passed on as you intend and that you minimise your tax obligations, it is crucial for any high-net-worth individual or business owner to carefully plan and structure succession arrangements.
Also, modern families can be complicated. Many people marry more than once and have children or stepchildren from different relationships. Disputes can arise between children from a first marriage and children from a later marriage, or between children from a first marriage and those of a later spouse or partner. This makes succession issues and estate planning even more complex.
Our services include:
- asset protection;
- business succession planning;
- estate planning, including complex wills;
- wills and testamentary trusts;
- tax and tax planning;
- powers of attorney; and
- living wills.
Our lawyers can help you plan for the future of your business. This includes assistance with:
- business structures;
- financial planning;
- probate; and
- estate administration.
Our litigation team is well-equipped to handle contested estate claims and other estate disputes. Just as importantly, we pride ourselves on being discreet.
Probate and estate administration
A deceased estate can involve family disputes, a large pile of paperwork and legal jargon. Barraket Stanton can assist you in many ways. Our services in this area include:
- interpreting wills;
- advising executors and trustees on their rights and duties;
- applying for probate of a will in the Supreme Court;
- dealing with cases of intestacy (i.e., where there is no will);
- applying for letters of administration (if the will is deemed invalid or is absent);
- identifying estate assets and liabilities; and
- advising in regard to family and testamentary trusts.